Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bracelet Story #6

You know that I think every bracelet has a story behind it. Some are short stories, some novels, but there are stories. Here is a 50 year story, a design story, and a birthday story.

This is my prayer bead bracelet. Yeah, it has honkin' big beads. My small group made these one night at my suggestion. My brain functions much like the Human PinBall. It is very hard for me to focus on anything for very long, and unfortunately that works for my prayers too. Sometimes I don't even finish a thought. I really hate it. I found this book Prayer for People Who Can't Sit Still, by William Tenny-Brittian. It is full of lots of ideas on non-traditional praying. I tried the one about prayer beads. The author explained that having a tactile experience while praying would make me focus. I thought...yeah right. And no kidding, it works. There are 10 beads on my bracelet and I feel that if I can pray about 10 things without losing focus, it is a miracle! I just touch each bead as I pray. Try it!

And if that doesn't work, the book will teach you to dance your prayers, draw your prayers, journal your prayers, sing your prayers, and prayer walk. And if you can sit down every day and talk to God without your brain interrupting, wow, I find that amazing!

Normal Girl

2 comments:

Dawn said...

wow that sounds like a great book!

Kim said...

If you would like to read it, I will bring it to you. It is a short book.