Friday, September 10, 2010

One Big Brown Circle

Yes, I am still working on the office re-do. This morning, I was outside painting my old wooden crates when I realized that I have made a full decorating circle. It made me laugh. It made me feel old.

When I first started decorating my own place in the 70s, the trend was definitely earth tones and brown played a huge part in that. Practically everything I had was brown. You would have been so jealous of my brown shag carpeting and brown furniture and brown everything, with a little avocado and harvest gold thrown in.

It did not take long until I was sickened by all that brown. But, never having tons of money to spend on decorating, I had to replace things one at a time, or repaint. So, it took awhile to get rid of all the brown stuff. As a matter of fact, I still have a brown waste basket in my office from that time period. It is an antique now, maybe. A big old brown plastic antique.

So today when I was painting my crates brown, it seemed stupid that after hating it so much for so many years, and working so hard to get rid of it, I am back to brown. It almost made me stop painting. But, truly the brown crates look good against my new chartreuse wall, so there you have it.

Brown crates and an antique brown waste basket and I am hip. And old.
Normal Girl