Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Old Stained Glass Cross

I think this is my favorite of all of the things I have put on stage.  

This gives you a better idea of the size.  It is 15' tall.  We hung it on a track on rollers. so it rolls the width of the stage. We can adjust it anyplace or put it behind the curtain when we don't want to see it.  Amazing what you can build with styrofoam and tape.

Today we were challenged to sit in a different place in the auditorium.  Funny how different everything looked from a different vantage point.  It even felt like there was less space between pews on the other side.  Of course, that can't be true.  Here is what I learned:

- on the right side, the lights on the stage are way hotter and the people up there wash out
- the right side is under the air conditioning ducts and it is colder over there
- you can see more of the auditorium from the right side, I am not sure why that is, except the shape of the room is not symmetrical...I had a clear view of the balcony...it was very distracting for me
- I have gotten used to the people I normally sit near.  They  feel like my Sunday morning family and I like catching up with them each week.  They pay attention and do not distract me.
- it made me laugh how much whining went on when we were asked to switch seats and also how many people flat refused to do it

Try a different viewpoint today,
Normal GIrl

7 comments:

votemom said...

actually, there is less space between pews on the right side.

i was in the nursery so i missed seeing the beautiful cross - i'm glad you posted it here.

now if we could just get rid of all the PEOPLE up there and JUST look at the cross.....

oh, that's a topic for one of A's meetings ;o)

Kim said...

No way. Why would there be less space between the pews on one side? I am going back to the wide side. Missed you today, I had the violin bow...

Keri Harrison said...

That cross is my favorite "set" that I've seen at Calvary - it is just beautiful - you did a great job! :)

Dawn said...

wow that is a great cross!

Kim said...

I think it is my favorite too...

votemom said...

the space between the pews had to do with optimum seating and getting the most possible seating out of the auditorium when it was built. it's annoying tho.

emma said...

i LOVE the cross! it is gorgeous!